Monday, December 20, 2010

On Christmas shopping and Joe Strummer

I have not at all completed my Christmas shopping. In the paraphrased words of Karen Carpenter, I've only just begun. I've pretty much got to get it all done tomorrow or I'm in deep, deep trouble.

One year, I did all of my Christmas shopping with my sister on December 23rd. We were listening to the radio and they were playing a lot of songs by my favorite band at the time, The Clash. Love them. When a particularly deep cut was played, I remarked to my sister, "God, I hope Joe Strummer didn't die." And then, at the end of the song the DJ (the beloved Pierre Robert) announced that Joe Strummer had passed away at the age of 50. And I... burst into tears. We had to sit in the Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot for a good 6 minutes until I got it together. My sister was at a loss, just sort of confused and weirded out that I had started crying over the lead singer of a band. Every time I do last minute Christmas shopping, I think of Joe Strummer and how music can really make a difference. I also think about how hot he was.


One time at a party I was asked by a girl shouting these words at me, "BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN IN 1984: WOULD YOU DO HIM?! CAUSE I WOULD!!!!!!" And I responded that of course I would do 1984 Bruce Springsteen because that was when he looked the most like Joe Strummer.

It was recently announced that a Joe Strummer biopic is in the works. Obvs, I will be seeing that, but I am hoping they get someone who loves the Clash (and, preferably, his other bands) to play the man himself. Someone on Facebook suggested Steve Buscemi for the Mick Jones role and that's fairly genius.


Oh, and when I was looking for a photo of Joe Strummer I came across one of my favorite quotes of all time and decided I would include it for you at the end of this post just because. J. D. Salinger, you may have been a bit creepy, but I love you.

There was a slight pause. "You'd better get busy, though, buddy. The goddam sands run out on you every time you turn around. I know what I'm talking about. You're lucky if you get time to sneeze in this goddam phenomenal world."

-- Franny and Zooey

No comments:

Post a Comment