Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Beaujolais Nouveau, Butterbeer, and Beer Beer

Y'all, we are just a few short weeks away from the release of Harry Potter 7 Part 1 on November 19 at midnight! Do you want to hear the best news of the week?

Beaujolais Nouveau Day is November 18. This means I can totally bring B.N. to the movie theater with me! Hooray!**

In related news, I had the amazing good fortune to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter back in August thanks to receiving the greatest 30th birthday gift ever. And while there, I was able to taste Butterbeer! They have it in two versions: cold and frozen. On the first round, they were out of the frozen (think slushy) version, so we went with the cold. It comes out of giant tapped barrels, which is a nice little detail. The really cool part of Butterbeer is that it is topped with magical cream. Due to, I suppose, a chemical reaction, on contact with the Butterbeer the cream turns into a foam and as you drink the foam increases! It was SO COOL.

So what does butterbeer taste like? On my first taste I thought cream soda, which I don't like very much. But then, mixed with the foam, it tasted like a liquid butterscotch dessert. I would never call this a refreshing drink, but it was definitely tasty and will give you a supreme sugar rush. I actually like the cold version better than the frozen version. At first I like the frozen better, but after a couple of minutes it started to melt and it just didn't taste as delicious to me. Also, the foam doesn't increase nearly as much on the frozen version as on the cold.

In Hogsmeade they also sell the Hog's Head Brew, an actual beer for actual adults who actually went to Harry Potter Land. Like me. It's a fairly innocuous beer, sort of a traditional lager or American ale. I love beer, but when in Hogsmeade.... well, sometimes you have to go for broke.




**Note: obviously, I would never bring wine with me to the midnight showing of Harry Potter every time they release a new movie. Not me. Never.

2 comments: