Tuesday, January 29, 2019

2019 SAG Awards Red Carpet Rundown: The Meh!

Now we're getting down to it.

THE MEH

Amanda Brugel!
Love this color, love the shape of the dress, dislike the absolutely gigantic cravat.

Elisabeth Moss!
This is an enormous improvement from the Golden Globes and so very close to being in the Good pile. Alas the full skirt should have started with the black belt instead of having three inches of strange and unflattering pause between the two. SO CLOSE.

Emily Blunt!
To be honest, I think I'd be disappointed if there was not an overt tribute to the labia on the red carpet. I guess it was Emily's turn to pay homage. 

Cara Santana!
And Cara Santana volunteered as tribute as well. I actually think this dress is fairly interesting but what in the world is happening with that bun!? 

Matt Bomer!
This is pretty snoozy (he is pretty snoozy to me) but we have to discuss these shoes. I hate them and I think they ruin the look.

Chris Pine!
Same shoes this time with tassles. Also the white of his shirt is a different white than his suit. I'm getting a headache.

Melanie Liburd!
This is a very pretty dress with a deeply confusing print that unfortunately makes the draping look off in the hips. CUAN. 

Rami Malek!
This is not a great jacket style for him because he looks like he's cold and trying to warm up. And excuse me sir but are those sneakers?! 

Margot Robbie!
I suppose if you're going to wear metallic macrame, this is the way to do it.

Robin Wright!
Her head is in competition with her body here - the hair and makeup are soft and understated while the dress and accessories are intense and graphic. This dress fits her beautifully but it doesn't look expensive, it just looks crunchy. 

Susan Kelechi Watson!
Thought I do not entirely love the skirt this is one of the more successful tiered dresses of the night. The fit is great and I love this color on her. The hair and accessories are just right but I think a purple eyeshadow would have worked better for the dress and her skin tone than the green. 

Marin Hinkle!
Snoozefest.

Ricky Martin!
The tie is too small and the pants are just a touch too long. Good effort but start again.

Samira Wiley!
The disjointed straps trend continues much to my chagrin but this is one of the better versions I saw from the SAGs (stay tuned for more). For me, the shoes are far too heavy for the look and I don't like how the top is fitted under her arm. Could just be how it photographed, though. Hard to say.

Lady Gaga!
I don't love this dress, nor do I loathe it, it is very very meh for me. But let's talk about styling. I like this 90s MAC glam makeup look but not necessarily with this dress. Furthermore, that choker makes it look like her head is completely separate from her body and can be removed at will.

Sandra Oh!
I am obsessed with curly bangs right now so that might be influencing my thoughts about this look. The dress isn't amazing but it's not awful. I am digging the shape this dress is giving her body, giving her a very statuesque goddessy feeling here. Also I kind of hate the shoes and wish I had never seen them. I am really going hard on shoes today, huh?

Megan Mullally!
It's not my favorite McQueen but it looks fabulous on her, especially considering she bought it online. As for the makeup, I'd love to see a darker lip here.

Timothee Chalamet!
TC is about to do a killer set at the Comedy Cellar in 1996.

Awkwafina!
 This dress has trapped Awkwafina in a permanent shrug. 

Chadwick Boseman!
Real talk: I dig this jacket. I'll say for the millionth time that I am so happy to see men having more fun on the red carpet with prints and accessories. That said, a turtleneck is a bridge too far. 

Gabrielle Carteris!
Y'all! Andrea Zuckerman in the house! With bad shoes, a boot cut, and a bell sleeve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment