Friday, May 11, 2018

Met Gala 2018 Red Carpet Rundown: The WTF!

My dear readers, we have arrived at my favorite Way Too Shay entry of every year. As always, I must remind you that WTF is not necessarily bad; indeed we have so many good WTF entries today. Let's dig in to this delicious pile.

THE WTF

Janelle Monae!
She is giving you her signature black and white (I think the only time she deviated was the 2014 Met Gala with that faaaaaaaabulous red coat) but this time with a sparkling headscarf and actual halo. It's crazy, it's classic, it's giving me life.

Diane Kruger!
Aside from that fact that it Could Use A Necklace, this is an interestingly shaped mini dress. Kind of boring for Diane, right? BUT WAIT! There's more....
Look at this insane train! Insane in the brain! I'm going off the rails on this crazy train! Other songs about insanity and trains!

Cassie (seen here with Diddy)!
This is proof that Cassie can pull off any look. Even if that look is That Dude at the Oscars in the shrunken tux paired with couture moon shoes. 

Sofia Coppola!
Now this would be a bad WTF. This looks like paper dolls made of bags. Touch the fashion, change your life. 

Jaden Smith!
Why are there props?!

Mindy Kaling!
Not the most gigantic crown of the night, alas, but loving the hyper virginal white gown. Mindy Kaling was like, Catholic Imagination huh? GOT IT.

Cara Delevingne!
Cara Delevingne came to Met Gala dressed as the confession booth separator screen!!!!!!!

Nick Cave and Susie Bick!
Everything seems to be in order here.

Pharrell Williams and Helen Lasichanh!
Pharrell: Helen, what are you going to wear to the Met Gala this year?
Helen: I was thinking of doing something seasonally inappropriate like maybe a big sweater with a wool coat. How about you?
Pharrell: I was gonna throw on as many gigantic cross necklaces as we have in the house.
Helen: Oh good idea. I'll wear a rosary.

SZA!
I love her headpiece so much! Every time I look at this dress I imagine her going through a doorway and the outermost layers being accidentally shaved off when the full skirt couldn't fit through. I guess I'm imagining a doorway made of knives? Seems dangerous. 

Katy Perry!
I am convinced that no one has an easy time peeing at the Met Gala.

Greta Gerwig!

Oh Sister James! I have doubts

Tracee Ellis Ross!
Tracee Ellis Ross literally showed up as her own mother!!!!!!!!!!! 

Lana Del Rey and Jared Leto!
While there is no such thing as "too much" at the Met Gala, this is as close to too much as you can get.

Sarah Jessica Parker (seen here with Andy Cohen)!
Perhaps you think that SJP wearing a full nativity scene on her head is also very close to too much but you are wrong. That aggressive blue eyeshadow is what is close to too much here.

Frances McDormand!
Here she is boys! Here she is world! Here's FRAN! 
She is the queen of not giving a shit what you think! This is outstanding and I would put this right at the top of the Tonga Scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment