Thursday, May 10, 2018

Met Gala 2018 Red Carpet Rundown: The Bad!

When I tell you that Claire Danes showed up in one of the ugliest dresses I have ever seen... well, you know we're ready to dive into the real show here. 

THE BAD

Letitia Wright!
Oh Shuri nooooo.  The fit is off and the gown itself is deeply perplexing. I don't want to go full Tiffany on this but Letitia Wright is everyone's #1 fave right now and I want better for her than two waistlines and a sheer turtleneck.

Kendall Jenner!
Pant legs should not have individual trains. 
(Hat tip to Reader Kelley for pointing out the trains. I had previously been concerned about the glove-sleeves.)

Amanda Seyfried!
She's giving you mustard, she's giving you random dance recital sleeve, she's giving you Juliet Capulet fresh out of grad school.

Jennifer Connelly (seen here with Paul Bettany)!
I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it. 

Shailene Woodley!
Shailene Woodley IS Pauley Perrette AS the Tin Man IN Mod Oz: Emerald City 1965.

Daniel Kaluuya!
I really tried to not put him in the Bad Pile but the pants are a skosh too short, the tie is too small, and I am not feeling this baby blue on him. 

Uma Thurman!
The fabric looks cheap, the necklace is a miss, and the hair is straight up mid-90s fifth grade I Forgot It Was Picture Day.

Ruby Rose!
Oh girl. Oh no. Oh no no no.

Kate Upton!
When bad dresses happen to beautiful earrings.

Laura Harrier!
She looks beautiful and I am in love with those shoes but my question is: to which event did Laura Harrier think she was going?

Claire Danes!
WHAT AM I LOOKING AT.

Laura Dern!
Is it a dress? Is it a coat? I think it's a coat. This is a variation on the Giant Cross Across My Boobs but maybe it's an ankh? (Ankh-Ankh) Listen, this isn't horrible but that necklace truly does not work and while it was a Monday I think this look needs more than weekday hair. The look is all over the place.

Yara Shahidi!
I'd like to formally welcome Yara Shahidi to the party since she is no longer a child and can therefore be put in categories other than the Good Pile. Welcome! Now that we're through the pleasantries, do you remember how in Pretty in Pink Molly Ringwald takes apart two perfectly fine dresses and puts them together to make one terrible dress? Welp. It's half-sexy-prom-gown and half-Oklahoma-dream-ballet. The fascinator has nothing to do with the rest of the outfit, that little flower is distracting, and I'm just not sure the shoes match. You deserve better, Yara!

Hailee Steinfeld!
Another fairly recent addition and another yikes. I know I am always calling for a necklace but a necklace and a choker and a crown and unbrushed hair is a bit overwhelming. Also the platform shoes with dark lips and a prom dress is giving me some very Miss World vibes - not in a good way. Furthermore, Kate Upton's dress does not get better when seen from the back. This whole picture is giving me a headache.

Amal and George Clooney!
While I am impressed that the train was made of tin foil (HOW), I am just not feeling this look at all. It seems so casual - it's a tube top, satin pants, and a big train. I do not know what happened with George but that tux is too big on him and it makes him look like a commoner. (For the record, I love the red dress she changed into as detailed in the linked article but we're not featuring it because she didn't wear it on the carpet.)

Kylie Jenner (seen here with Travis Scott)!
When I was a kid, I thought x-ray vision meant you would see people's bras and underwear and I thought that would be cool. I WAS WRONG.

Darren Criss!
That's a lot of look, Darren! Also is it just me or do you think the figures on his jacket are reminiscent of Ecce Homo???

Selena Gomez!
When sexy nightgowns meet beachwear meet bridal couture. 

Anne Hathaway!
I mean, first of all let's acknowledge Ruby Rose doing THE MOST in the background. Okay, now on to Annie. I cannot begin to wrap my head around this. I mean I understand not wanting to wear a bra or spanx, but the aggressive stick situation in her hair is beyond me. This dress is absolutely swallowing her whole and you know what? On a scale of 1 - Patton, I'm gonna go ahead and give this look a Full Patton.

No comments:

Post a Comment