Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Met Gala 2018 Red Carpet Rundown: The Good!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Last night's Met Gala was themed Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination and boy howdy did the celebrities take this opportunity to make themselves look like saints. Seriously, I have never seen so many halo-inspired headpieces and I am HERE FOR IT. So much good head last night (pun absolutely intended) and so so many unforgettable looks. Even though Beyonce took one look at the invite and was like "nah," we have a lot of ground to cover. The Met Gala is always the most interesting red carpet event of the year because it's kind of a costume party which give permission for everyone to go so far over the top it loops back around to sensible. Because if you get the chance to stomp the red carpet at something celebrating Catholicism, why wouldn't you dress as Joan of Arc?!?!

THE GOOD

Zendaya!
Hands down my favorite look of the night. High fashion Joan of Arc is everything. The chain mail, the armor, the intense but flirtatious hair, sky high heels, gorgeous rings. I'm so in love with this look at this event. 

Lena Waithe!
I adore this. The suit is right, the face and hair are right, the brooches are gorgeous, and the cape is EVERYTHING. Love that Lena is repping the new flag birthed here in Philly! This is gorgeous and what a statement it makes considering the event theme.

Lynda Carter!
Talk about statements to make! Not only does OG Wonder Woman look absolutely stunning in this teal showstopper, her crown says "Never Forget" in Hebrew. Amazing. 

Gigi Hadid!
I don't think it has anything to do with the theme but this dress made me gasp. It's stunning on its own but the way it plays against her skin tone elevates the effect. So often I'm telling people something isn't their color or bemoaning people who wear dresses the same color as their skin, but this is kind of the opposite of that and I cannot imagine it was easy to get right.

Priyanka Chopra!
Another look that caught my breath right in my throat. This is STUNNING. The length on the column is perfect, the headpiece and capelet are beyond gorgeous, and while I would normally deride velvet in May (more on that later) it's just the perfect fabric and color to balance the lacy metal work on top. It bears repeating: this is stunning.

Michael B. Jordan!
Internationally recognized hottie bo bottie Michael B. Jordan is wearing the hell out of this suit. The fabric is cool, the fit is good, and he's really cinched in there (which I enjoy). I'm gonna be real with you: I actually have no idea if I totally like this look (especially the cuff) because I keep trying to look at it with an objective eye and it's kind of impossible with MBJ. 

Emilia Clarke!
Ornate church ceiling fabulosity here. The dress is very cool, the crown is awesome, the blush is FAR TOO MUCH, but I am really loving this picture showing one of the many assistants and handlers who spent their entire evening squatting on the ground to fan the trains. Well fanned, sir.

Cynthia Erivo!
I am less excited about this velvet in May because the construction of the cutouts make me think breezy, make me think summer, and make me wish we did this in something about half as heavy. That said, the color is a dream on her and her makeup!!!!! 
Look at the magnificence of her bejeweled eyebrows! I died. RIP me.

Jasmine Sanders!
It kind of has nothing to do with the theme but she was the prettiest princess at the ball.

Luka Sabbat!
This is simply fabulous. And, look, Reader Lois! A cummerbund! 

Sarah Paulson!
Hear me out. Considering the subject, considering the theme, considering what we have seen and what may have been, I think this is a particularly good showing from our Sarah. It's regal, severe, and frosty in that perfectly Catholic way.

Travis Scott (seen here with Kylie Jenner)!
I cannot get enough of this military-inspired tux. I am truly gaga over this look. Kylie we'll address in a different post.

Blake Lively!
My god that is a gorgeous gown. When I look at this gown all I can think of is the labor that went into the construction. Holy moly, what a look.

Eiza Gonzalez!
Otherwise known as the Girl in the Yellow Dress, Eiza brought it to this red carpet. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at but I know it is gasp-worthy.

Lily Collins!
I love this neckline. I'm not super in love with the sheer to the floor part of the skirt but I appreciate how it gives the illusion of knee high socks, evoking school uniforms for me. Pair that with her Lady Liberty headpiece and the beautiful touch of crying blood and I am here for the theatricality of this look. 

Migos!
Look, I'm just as surprised as you but Offset, Quavo, and Takeoff knocked it out of the park.

Cardi B!
Giving you Virgin Mother opulence darling!

Ariana Grande!
Everything seems to be in order here. This is pretty and youthful and fun and totally on-brand for her. Can't believe she's the only one who wore a Sistine Chapel print! 

Kim Kardashian!
My sister sent me a text yesterday wondering if Kim K. dressed as a chalice to go with the theme. I think she might be onto something! No matter what the inspiration, she looks flawless and the construction that is going on underneath this dress is something of a miracle.

Solange!
I was not ready and we are not worthy. This is not an outfit, this is an event.

Chadwick Boseman!
Extraordinary and impressive. All hail the archbishop of this red carpet. The detail! The shoes! Amazing look.

Rihanna!
If Chadwick is the archbishop, surely Rihanna is the Pope! Like Solange's outfit, this too is an event. This is magnificent and it must have weighed about a million pounds. Who else but Rihanna could bring you Hot Pope to this red carpet? Rihanna, you are a gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment