Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Oscars 2018 Red Carpet Rundown: The Good!

Welcome to your heart's desire! We actually have very many looks to cover in this first section, so let's get going.

THE GOOD

Janet Mock!
Yes, hello, everything about this is perfect.

Allison Janney!
Many of you dear readers have contacted me to say Allison Janney was the most improved player on the red carpet and I absolutely agree. This is stunning and fits like a dream. I was previously unaware that I needed a dress with sleeves that are their own floor-length dresses but today is a new day and now I am aware.

Mary J. Blige!
Gorgeous, stunning, and she looked just as good in her performance dress. As we all are aware, I adore MJB and am so delighted to see her bring the glamour to the red carpet. This kind of drama is okay by me. 

Jennifer Garner!
This goes in the annals of Post-Divorce Hotness right next to Reese Witherspoon at the 2007 Golden Globes. This hair is a tiny bit 80s but I'm really into it because I love VOLUME.

Lakeith Stanfield!
First of all this is perfect. The fit, the size of the bowtie, the lapel pin, the shoes, the hem, the hair - all of it is perfect. Second of all, why did they make him do that super awkward bit during the show (which I will not link to)? Third of all, don't tell me anything about S2 of Atlanta because I haven't started yet.

Jennifer Lawrence!
Another one that hit every note for me. The dress is fire, as the children say, and her head has rarely looked better. I do think it could use a necklace but I could be talked out of that due to hair placement. Just love this look on her.

Dee Rees (seen here with Sarah M. Broom)!
I WAS NOT READY FOR THIS GREATNESS.

Helen Mirren!
I COMPLETELY EXPECTED THIS GREATNESS. Also, thank you, Helen, for giving me the pic I can bring to my stylist on my next haircut.

Chadwick Boseman!
Oh hi, I'm a huge superstar now and I wear interesting clothes and look flawless on the red carpet. Adjust your expectations as necessary. 

Eiza Gonzalez!
1000% known as The Girl In The Yellow Dress from this day forward. What a showstopping look.

Octavia Spencer!
YES! This is it! This is the dress! I love the color, I love the shape, I love the belt, but I especially love the way it is constructed on top. FINALLY, Octavia! This is my favorite thing she's worn since the 2014 Emmys.

Jane Fonda!
I am not feeling this alien shoulder pad trend but overall she looks dynamite.

Tiffany Haddish!
This look was amazing! Even if you didn't know the full story behind this look, the gown and cape are amazing and she looks gorgeous.

Kelly Marie Tran!
She. Looks. Extraordinary. 

Laurie Metcalf!
Love this. It's simple, it's elegant, and it's lovely on her. 

Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw!
I would like to give Steven Spielberg a lot of points for finally having a decent hem length on his pants and for being extremely close on the correct fit for his jacket! Grading him on a curve, for sure. As for Kate Capshaw, though I would have gone for just ONE bracelet of submission, she has never looked lovelier. 

Ansel Elgort (seen here with Violetta Komyshan)!
I'm sure into this tux - I like the velvet very much with the satin lapel and cuff and I especially like that he didn't pair it with velvet pants (looking at you, Armie). 

Jordan Peele and Chelsea Peretti!
They look fantastic. I think Chelsea could use a necklace but that is my only quibble. 

Ashley Judd (seen here with Mira Sorvino)!
Ashley Judd looked great. She kept adjusting the length of the necklace and I personally liked it just a little bit shorter than this. Mira looks great too, but I don't love the dress too much. How nice was it to see Mira?! Haven't seen her since she helped invent Post-Its. 

Meryl Streep!
While I was a little disappointed that Meryl didn't show up in her Comparative Literature Professor costume as I expected, I cannot argue with this. It's a great color, it fits her well, it's sexy but looks comfortable. Definitely CUAN.

Lin-Manuel Miranda!
Everything seems to be in order here.

Greta Gerwig!
She looks awesome. Beautiful dress, outstanding necklace, great makeup, good hair. Well done, G.

Rita Moreno!
Yes, that's right: the patron saint of WTF is rounding out the Good pile today. Our Rita showed up in her 1962 Oscars dress reworked and restyled and IT IS FABULOUS. Love this necklace and the long gloves! Don't know if I would have gone with the headband but who am I to argue with Rita Moreno? Nobody, that's who. 

3 comments:

  1. The Good section is now my favorite and that is because I am a better person than I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Tiffany Haddish’s commitment to a good dress and a good joke is unrivaled.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/get-there/wp/2018/03/06/when-a-4000-dress-is-a-symbol-of-frugality/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree about Chelsea Peretti. I think she looked awful, which was disappointing. I suppose I can forgive her hair, but the awkward fitting shlumpy velvet dress was not good. Jordan looked great, though.

    ReplyDelete