Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Emmy Awards 2014 Fashion Rundown: The Good

Woof, that was one boring Emmys huh? Everything was the same - winners, jokes, nominees - well, everything except the fashion. THANK GOD. Or maybe I don't mean that? There was a lot of beach hair (Beyonce, what have you done?), lots of white or nude dresses (boo), some capes (yay), and a couple of midriffs because of course there were. 

THE GOOD!

Mayim Bialik!
MOST IMPROVED! Oh my god, I love this. I love the color, love the shape, love the necklace. Blossom, thank you for making me so happy!

Teyonah Parris!
Fabulous, fun, and unexpected. 

Sarah Silverman!
Certainly a bit more on the expected side, but Sarah Silverman has been hitting the Good pile a lot lately, huh? Maybe a new stylist? I'm loving the belt detail and the, uh, neckline on this. Also loving Sarah Silverman for staying true to herself by being a menace on the red carpet and sprinting up to the stage barefoot when she won. In that moment, I'll admit, I was impressed most of all by her boob tape.

Hayden Panetierre!
I had no idea she was pregnant. She looks FANTASTIC, no? Great hair, great makeup, great dress. Well done, young lady! What a difference from a few years ago.

Matt Bomer!
I don't have much to say about this. It's fairly perfect if a little standard. Also he is pretty.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus!
I don't have much to say about this. It's fairly perfect if a little standard. Also she is pretty. 

Sofia Vergara!
She's beautiful, the dress is stunning (even if she did sit down in the limo (for shame)), and I like the accessories... but... it's kind of like she's doing a drag version of herself now, right? Always with the same silhouettes, always the same colors. Mix it up, Sofia! Ps, never let anyone else talk you into gross misogynist skits like that turntable thing.

Octavia Spencer!
Loved this and it looked especially great on camera. Don't love the bag, but let's not quibble. She looks gorgeous.

Alison Williams!
Against all odds, one of my favorite looks of the night. I think it's the pop of yellow there and the clean styling. Much improved, Alison!

Natalie Dormer!
Some of the better beach waves seen last night. I love how simple this dress is, yet how interesting. Truth, though - I think I'd probably hate it if her hair was up. I have a feeling we have an athletic neckline under the tresses.

Christine Baranski!
As I have now said to multiple friends - girl, you know I love a cape. It's true. I really do love a good cape. This is basically perfect. I might have tried it with a long strand of beads but maybe that would have been too much.

Laverne Cox!
Speaking of a good cape - this was a great one. Laverne Cox is everything. She is an angel put on earth to teach us how to love. 

La Klum!
And fabulous cape #3. I guess this is more of a capelet, but that's okay! Capelets are also welcome in my neighborhood. She looks stunning and perfect.

Melissa McCarthy!
Our Melissa has had some red carpet difficulties in the past year, so I want to reward a major step in the right direction. Yes, Melissa, this! Gorgeous! Next try a color and we'll be golden. 

January Jones!
This is like the perfect blend of my taste with January Jones' taste. It's got the couture flavor she loves and the elegance I crave. I dislike mullet dresses but love those shoes so much I'd hate to miss seeing them. CUAN, but let's not fight. Not today.

Felicity Huffman!
Graceful, elegant, perfect fit, awesome bag. Needs lipstick.

Kiernan Shipka!
Once again out-dressing stars and starlets double her age. It's even better from the side. Kid, all of my future fashion dreams ride on your tiny little shoulders. Well, you and Hailee Steinfeld.

Carrie Brownstein (seen here with Fred Armisen)!
I'm sorry I couldn't get a better photo of her dress. I love the dress, but I actually chose this photo because it looks like the guy on the left is on one of those tin can phones. Delightful.

Jessica Pare!
She makes it look so easy. If a mere mortal tried to wear this dress, she'd look hippy and cankley. Jessica Pare is no mere mortal, I guess.

Kate Mulgrew!
From Helen Mirren's "I'm Perfect And You're Not" collection, I assume. Stunning, Red/Janeway, just stunning.

Uzo Aduba!
Hands down best look of the night in my book. Great shape, stunning detail on the train, great color, lovely styling. CUAN, for sure, but Uzo owned the "I am not the character I play" game last night. Fabulous and fierce, as her designer Sister Christian would once have said. Ferosh, even.

annnnnnnnnnnd a little more pretty for you....


Chiwetel Ejiofor!
Yowza. Forever yowza.

No comments:

Post a Comment