Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Emmy Awards 2018 Red Carpet Rundown: The WTF!

I always get a little sad when we come to the end of our red carpet rundowns. It feels like we've been through a lot together and I'm a little wistful to see it go. But such is the ephemeral beauty of awards show fashion.

THE WTF

Zazie Beetz!
This is one of those hallowed good-WTF entries. Why is she wearing ornate armor as part of her dress? No idea but I am here for it.

Carol Kane!
The dream of the 90s is alive in Carol Kane's closet.

Alex Borstein!
A few wut parts of this add up to a WTF for me. First, reclaiming your former wedding gown as red carpet wear - cool! I guess! Sounds healthy and empowering! But did this wrap jacket situation come with the original? Because it's kind of not great. Mostly, though we are here because of the shimmy. I know a lot of you don't watch the shows and are just here for the pictures so may I please direct you to The Shimmy Heard Round The World.

Mario Lopez!
What hath Pharrell wrought?

Jennifer Lewis!
What a treasure this woman is. She shows up in some leggings, sneakers, a statement sweatshirt, and just LOADS of diamonds. For God so loved the world, God gave us Jennifer Lewis... but this is still sneakers on the red carpet. And even though the ad campaign she's supporting was great, Nike is still trash for commodifying protest, among other problematic things.

Amy Sherman Palladino!
Someone needs to stop watching The Greatest Showman before bed every night.

Laura Dern!
I mean, I get the joke of it looking like a suit with the foundation garments on the outside and I think fashion can be humorous and fun but this is way more me laughing at it than with it. In short, LOL WUT.

Joe Keery!
I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it.

Claire Foy!
Slicked hair, two different shoes, glorified sheet dress... I honestly think her limo showed up while she was mid-shower and she just improvised a dress out of the shower curtain and ran. Look at the back!
You will not convince me otherwise.

The Fab Five!
Taking these boys as a group because they will not be known separately for the moment, let's go left to right. Jonathan WUT NO. Sheer turtlenecks are not our friends and, while I like the idea of wearing a ladies suit, it's not a good fit. Bobby looks pretty great but on the show why will no one help Bobby? He has to do so much more work than everyone else and it hurts me. The fit on Tan's suit is great but I dislike the frayed edges. It's the same designer as Laura Dern's dress so I'm sure it's meant to say or evoke something but I just don't like it. Antoni looks absolutely perfect and for some reason I am irritated by this. I have no idea why Karamo is wearing his beautiful suit with riding boots and a large picnic cape but I am, as the kids would say, living. Those are my individual thoughts. Looking at everything together, though, I sort of feel like what am I even seeing?

Tracee Ellis Ross!
Bringing it all home is TER, risk taker and bon vivant. This is hilarious and outrageous and very pink and kind of bananas. Why is she holding it up? Did she have to hold it up all night? What must it have been like to sit next to TER in the auditorium? Also I feel like this is some sort of evolution of her Met Gala look which really tips the scales for me. Folks, we have got ourselves a Full Tonga here!


Bye, y'all! See you at Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. TER knew the Emmys we’re going to be boring AF, so she brought her own duvet

    ReplyDelete