Thursday, September 20, 2018

Emmy Awards 2018 Red Carpet Rundown: The Meh!

Buckle up, fashion fans, because we have tens of disappointing looks to cover today. 

THE MEH

John Legend!
He's an EGOT now, which stands for EGads Oversized Tie.

Aidy Bryant!
Knees-up, this is fabulous. I love the color, love the beading and the hair and makeup are great. I haaaaaate the length on this dress. As you'll learn in the next few posts, I generally dislike tea length dresses. I would love to see this without elastic on the sleeves and with different shoes. These shoes are fine, they are just boring. A yellow pump would have been fun.

Regina King!
Wonderful color, great fit, love the hair and makeup but I can't get over how much the torso looks like a toilet seat cover. 

Milo Ventimiglia!
The fit is gorgeous but I feel like he's about to ask me if I've ever dined there before and take me for a tour of the menu. Thank you, Milo, I'll have a Hendricks martini, up, fairly dry, extra olives.

Ann Dowd!
I absolutely love the shape, idea, and construction of this dress but dear god why is the fabric so reminiscent of wall art from an "american nouveau" restaurant in circa 1991?

Mandy Moore!
It's not an awful dress but the color feels a bit drab and boy howdy do I hate the length. Lovely shoes for sure, the hair is ok, the jewelry doesn't quite work, and I want a bolder lip. I have a longstanding theory that if Mandy Moore looks great on a red carpet also attended by Amanda Peet that Amanda Peet has to look bad and vice versa. So what happens if Mandy is just Meh?

Amanda Peet!
That's sorted. Oh hey, there's the bold lip I was looking for on Mandy. Again the dress isn't awful, though I would love to see it without the epaulets. I think with epaulets it's ok without a necklace, though if you take them away I'd want a necklace with this. I would love to see something different with the hair, like deep side part and side swept pony with big soft curls. That bag should be burned.

Leslie Jones!
I love this suit and I think she looks amazing but this is The Case Of The Disappearing Feet Part One.

Issa Rae!
The Case of the Disappearing Feet Part Two - Department of Secret Pants Part One.

Evan Rachel Wood!
The Case of the Disappearing Feet Part Three - Department of Secret Pants Part Two.

Elisabeth Moss!
Grading on a curve this is a vast improvement from what she tends to bring to the red carpet and she looks pretty good - the makeup is good, the shoes are awesome for sure. But the length of this dress is awkward and I find the slit distracting. As you've probably guessed I'm not 100% on board with the underdone hair trend, so I want a little more oomph there....

Look, I'm going to be honest: the more I write the more I think I should move her over to the Bad pile but I've already done all of these comments so I'm just going to leave her here. Now you know why sometimes people in bad outfits get a better review than they deserve.

Datoka Fanning!
I don't love the cutouts and I'm not sure this sage is a great color for her skin tone but I kind of love this look on her. It's very 70s high end bridesmaid and I can dig it.

Madalaine Petch!
My dear readers, let's talk about this dress. I can't quite figure out how I feel about it. On one hand, the color is wrong on the middle swath, which interrupts the eye and makes it hard to absorb the dress in its entirety. On the other hand, that darker color makes for an alluring and dramatic illusion  and highlights the waist in a way that is pleasing to me. I don't know what to think. What do you think?

Allison Janney!
I know this seems silly to say about a sequined (sequinced) purple gown but this is boring.

Sarah Silverman!
Tell me something I don't know, Sarah Silverman.

Edie Falco!
Snooze.

Kate McKinnon!
Snooooze. 

Connie Britton!
Snoooooooooooze. Also, this looks like weed.

Scarlett Johansson!
It's not that she looks bad, it's just that there is too much going on here. Stiff and plunging up top doesn't go great with hip-hugging but also drapey skirt slit so high you can see the lining.

Natasha Lyonne!
If you ever saw my college dorm room, you know I have a weakness for Natasha, so I think she usually looks pretty great. But the fact is this dress doesn't fit right.

Samantha Bee!
Coat dresses are tricky because they look like coats and this one is particularly Lady Gumshoe On Assignment. Well accessorized but I dislike her makeup story.

Laurie Metcalf!
This might be the Laurie Metcalfiest dress that ever Metcalfed but it's too long. 

Margo Martindale!
I love this dress with sheer jacket but (there's always a but in the Meh) I really wish the neckline of the dress blended better with the collar on the jacket. Because the dress has more of a bateau neckline, it gives the appearance of wider shoulders underneath the jacket. In other news WHAT ARE THOSE SHOES.

Megan Mullaly!
Make up is great, excellent bag, fit is flawless, wow I hate that print.

Holland Taylor!
There is something about the embroidery on this dress that just makes it look dowdy. I actually don't mind this length on her, it's just the detail. Which is a shame because if you put that aside she looks fabulous.

Chrissy Metz!
Really love the purple accessories with this dress but really really wish the dress touched the ground. I'd be okay not seeing the shoes. 

Constance Wu!
That's a lot of neckline. OMG I just realized it's kind of like a couture cold shoulder nooooooooooo Constance!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooo.

Felicity Huffman!
I love the idea of this outfit but the fit is way wrong for her and the shoes are extraordinarily boring. That said, excellent necklace choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment