Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Emmy Awards 2018 Red Carpet Rundown: The Good!

My dear readers, it has been a while! I hope you all had great summers and continue fighting the good fight against cold shoulder tops. RESIST! We are back in action with so many looks to cover from the Emmys on Monday. I'm honestly contemplating splitting The Meh pile in half because there are over 30 entries. But that's a decision for another day because we must begin as we always do with the best (and comparatively-better) looks of the night!

THE GOOD

Samira Wiley!
Stunning dress, great fit, really digging the styling. 

Kristen Bell!
The fit on this dress is absolutely exquisite. I'm not 100% on board for her in white but I cannot stop looking at this amazing silhouette.

Angela Sarafyan!
Definitely too much dress for this event but I do not care because it is awesome. I'm not even sure I'd say it Could Use A Necklace since it comes up so high. This is a look that commands attention so good job, person I've never heard of cause I don't watch Westworld.

Sterling K. Brown!
A+ in tux and handsomeness.

Vanessa Kirby!
No longer playing Princess Margaret (loved her) so shooting her shot to be the next Bond girl? A great look that shakes up the collective perception after all that period work.

RuPaul!
Category is: I can rock a red carpet in my sleep ELEGANZA.

Nathalie Emmanuel!
Practically perfect in every way. It absolutely CUAN but that is a minor quibble considering the overall loveliness.

La Klum!
I'M AS SURPRISED AS YOU ARE. Am I grading on a curve? Yes. Is this the best La Klum has looked on a runway in years? Yes again. Is there an out of control bow/drape situation on the torso? You bet. Is she in the Good pile anyway? Affirmative.

Ricky Martin!
Hi hello this is how you wear a tux. Don't @ me about the right pant length, it's just the way he's standing.

Yvonne Orji!
Molly! You are not in danger girl! 

Jessica Biel!
Facts are facts: I was going to put this in the Meh. But the more I look at this gown the more I am struck by how incredible the structure is and how the design works so beautifully to enhance and showcase the work that went into making this garment. So I guess I've convinced myself I love it now? CUAN for sure - something bright.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau!
I liked this color combination and fabric combination when Daniel Kaluuya did it at the Oscars and I like it on this person now. I just really like this look. 

Sandra Oh!
To be very honest, I think the width of the plunging V plus the boxy shoulders throws off her proportions. I really toyed with putting her in the Meh - at the very very top of course. But all in all, this is a showstopping look and the fullness of the hair meets the wideness of the neckline beautifully and gives the elegance a fun edginess. 

Trevor Noah!
Very nicely done.

Natalia Dyer!
Classic and lovely. I am willing to bet that was the heaviest gown at the show.

Matt Smith!
And that, my dear readers, is how you rock the cummerbund.

Tiffany Haddish!
Is it the parachute from gym class? It might be! Is it fun and does it look great on her? Absolutely yes!

Darren Criss!
This tux looked gorgeous on tv and he really gave himself a fashion moment here. Go ahead, Darren Criss! Happy for you and your leap into Them-dom. Maybe. 

Thandie Newton!
One-armed fashion cape? I am here for it. Regal and sexy all at once. 

Kirsten Dunst!
For my money, I think this is the best Kiki has ever looked. And that is really saying something because she used to show up in ice blue feather situations all the time. My dear readers I did not have to look up that dress from the 2007 Oscars because it is BURNED IN MY BRAIN as the kind of thing Kiki wears. But no more! This was one of my favorites of the night and I could not be happier to add her to the Good pile. 

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog, but have to disagree on Tiffany Haddish. Yeah, that girl crazy & all, but she looks like she wandered away from her shift at the bouncy castle. Plus shoes are wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I even saw your comment on Tiffany, I thought "that's serving up some gym class realness, right there!" and I was delighted to see you went there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did Darren Criss get splashed with mud by a passing bus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love for this round-up of awards fashion! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete