Monday, June 11, 2018

Tony Awards 2018 Red Carpet Rundown: The Good!

My dear readers, what a weekend! Here in Philadelphia we had an arts festival, Pride, and Odunde happening all at the same time. And then, on top of that, it was the Tony Awards! I love awards shows but the Tonys was always the most important to me because I got to see the exact thing I wanted to do with my life live and in color right on that tv. The Tonys aren't for the existing theatre community of New York; they are for the generation of theatre makers to come. Last night's show was filled with inspiration, heartfelt tears, and lots of joy. Things are always better when we start with joy, so onward!

THE GOOD

Hailey Kilgore!
You want joy? I will give you joy! I don't super love the pattern on the dress but I do love the silhouette, the styling, and how difficult it is to find a picture of Hailey Kilgore not happily twirling!
I think this is the only stationary picture she took all night. Again, the pattern isn't for me but everything else is. 

Taylor Louderman!
Summertime stunning.

Ming-Na Wen!
It's sexy, dramatic, and very glamorous. Ming-Na Wen will make a man out of you. I hope she can see the girl staring back at her. Truly a girl worth fighting for. Okay, I'm out of Mulan references without looking things up.

Brian Tyree Henry!
This is a great look. I love the color, love the texture on the jacket, and absolutely love that pocket square paired with the texture. I'm pretty sure from other pictures I saw that the pants are bunched like that because of the way he's standing, so don't @ me. 

Katherine McPhee!
This is a very, very lovely... tribute to the belly button. No but for real the dress is great and she looks gorgeous. CUAN for sure, but everything else seems to be right on track here. Her gay boys must be happy. 
(Seriously you have to click that link, it's so hilarious to me. You might have to watch it 20 times for it to be hilarious to you. It's worth the time investment.)

Chita Rivera!
Chita Rivera will be waiting for you in the bedroom when you're ready.

Andrew Garfield!
Everything seems to be in order here. 

Laurie Metcalf!
While I much preferred the way her hair was styled for the Oscars, I love this look. It's dramatic, it's timeless, and it says very clearly, Move over Judith Light, I'm the sitcom star taking all the Tonys now!

Condola Rashad!
Did someone say showstopper? (CUAN but you know... quibbles.)

Jamshied Sharifi (seen here with Miyuki Sakamoto)!
Just casually nailing a full black ensemble... which is DIFFICULT. Everything works together to create a cohesive, beautiful look.

Nikki M. James!
While I would have chosen a brighter lip, this is so so pretty.

Lauren Ridloff!
Again, would have gone with a different lip but she looks sensational and timeless.

Matt Bomer, Jim Parsons, Andrew Rannells, and Zachary Quinto!
The barbershop quartet I ordered is finally here! They're called Sons of Pitches and they are simply sublime.   

No comments:

Post a Comment