Monday, June 9, 2014

Tony Awards Fashion Rundown 2014: The Good

Well yesterday was quite the day! It was Pride here in Philly AND I got to see The Kids in the Hall live (fulfilling a childhood dream) AND it was the best of all possible awards shows: The Tony Awards. As a theatre kid, the Tonys have always been the most exciting awards ceremony for me - I love seeing the performances, rooting for my favorites, and at least once in the evening being absolutely horrified that something like THAT could possibly be on Broadway (cough*Rocky*cough) (seriously... what is going on with that show). Lately, the Tonys have taken on a different kind of excitement - last year someone I actually know was nominated! Someone from my alma mater worked on multiple shows nominated and was thanked by name (way to go Buist)! But the thing about the Tonys that always seems not quite right is, well, the fashion. Let's see what we got, shall we?

THE GOOD

Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness!
Let's start with the man of the hour. I sort of feel meh about Hugh Jackman usually... until he does his Broadway thing. The guy is amazingly talented and immensely charming. His tux is beautifully cut (though it looks weird here because he insists on touching his wife for some reason). Deborra-Lee, for her part, looks better than she ever has (remember that furry thing [scroll down to the BAD]). She loves this neckline, but this time it's working for her. Well done, you two, but especially Hugh.

Judith Light!
Looking fabulous and fierce.

Jonathan Groff!
Appropriate almost to a fault. I adore this kid. When is he going to be in another show? (PS, Groff, I loved your little nod to the Adele Dazeem snafu... nicely played.)

Patricia Clarkson!
Woooof! Hello nurse! Could use a necklace, but other than that, perfect perfect.

Anika Noni Rose!
Let's be real: this should not work. But! It does! The styling is perfection - hair is simple, makeup is flawless, shoes are not distracting - she just let the dress be the star... other than her smile. Anika! That smile!

Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka!
David always has to do a print, doesn't he? This is far less horrifying than the Met Ball idea and, to be honest, they look incredible. Perfect fits, great shoes. Also, I'm watching the Awards as I watch this (obvs I DVR'd so I could watch it a bunch) and holy mother of god I need a ticket to Hedwig like TOMORROW.

Emmy Rossum!
Glamorous with an edge. Usually Emmy bores the hell out of me, but I'm digging this. Bringing old school washingboard realness.

Lena Hall!
Let's say you play a man in a show. And you're so good at it you win a Tony for it....What do you wear to the Awards? Vamp-tastic goth couture? Why yes! I adore this. Maybe I would have pulled the hair back, but whatever. This dress is a dream.

Sophie Okonedo!
Gorgeous and dramatic and it looked amazing on camera. Well done, Sophie!

Rosie O'Donnell (seen here with Michelle Rounds)!
Rosie looks better than she ever has. Seriously - this doesn't even look underdressed. It's just sublime on her.

Sutton Foster!
Sure it's about to go tits ahoy, but this is a GOWN. She looks stunning. I love the gold paired with it - that warms it up and gives it a bit of sophistication. Guys, at some point Sutton Foster has to age... right? WHEN!?

Vera Farmiga!
Well, well, well. It looks like I was wrong: Vera Farmiga IS capable of looking fantastic and wearing something suited to a star instead of something borrowed from a washed up hooker from the OK Corral. I stand corrected.

Bryan Cranston and Robin Dearden!
Fantastic. Just wonderful. The polka dot bowtie is a great and playful addition to an otherwise standard tux. Robin looks outstanding, yes? I wanted to highlight this because this is exactly the dress I want Mayim Bialik to wear. Mayim, are you listening? This would look stunning on you! Call Robin Dearden!

No comments:

Post a Comment