Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Oscars 2015 Fashion Rundown: The Good!

Thank you for your patience, fashion fans! That was some awards ceremony, huh? Kind of boring, definitely mean spirited, and the fashion was pretty ho-hum across the board. Oh well, we still have some discussion ahead. Before we get into the real rundown, can we just have a moment to collectively acknowledge the stunning power that defies all category: SOLANGE.


Even when I dislike her frock, I can't help but stop for just a moment and appreciate how she impacts a camera.

OH! ALSO!  I don't like to highlight the presenters/press but I am absolutely 100,000% in love with Kelly Osbourne's dress.

I would love this in a dusky rose to wear to my wedding, kthxbai.

Okay, that's enough of that. Let's go!

THE GOOD

Jessica Chastain!
I know a lot of you want to fight me on this, but I think she looks fantastic. Super interesting neckline, gorgeous color on her, beautiful necklace. I'm not loving the matchy matchy shoe trend, but other than that I think this is on point.

Jennifer Aniston!
Without a doubt the best she's ever looked at an awards show. Here is "dressing the statue" to acknowledge your snub. The construction on this is absolutely flawless.

Jennifer Hudson!
Only just barely CUAN in my book. This color is heaven on her. Effortless beauty.

Reese Witherspoon!
I think we might fight about this also. I get that it seems Reese can't really move her arms but if we don't really think about that OR about the fact that she looks like she's being censored, it's stunning. That is one of the best fits of the night.

Meryl Streep!
La Streep has a tendency to veer toward Wacky English Teacher territory, but I like this look. It's sort of "I have nothing to prove" mixed with "I like to borrow clothes from Susan Sarandon." Brava - this is breezy and fabulous.

Lupita Nyong'o!
You guys, OF COURSE I LIKE THIS DRESS. It's made entirely of necklaces! Honestly, this is the opposite of breezy but fabulous just the same.

Anna Kendrick!
A personal best for her. Who knew she could pull off this color?! Really impressed.

Sophie Hunter (with Benedict Cumberbatch)!
Impeccably glamorous maternity gown. She just looks perfect. I'm not a Cumberbitch, but I fully acknowledge that many of you are so here he is (and he needs a better tailor).

Laura Dern!
I am not sure why she is so deadset on hiding behind her hair, but other than that this is a majestic look.

Melanie Griffith!
Putting aside the incredibly tense joint interviews (and what Dakota's got going on - we'll get to that), Melanie looks better than she has in years and we grade on a curve. Nice dress, nice styling.

Ava DuVernay!
This dress is just plain cool. Love the color, love the detail on the torso and sleeves, and styling is perfection. Ava and Jen Aniston should have just stood together all night looking fabulous and talking shit about the Academy.

Cate Blanchett!
I didn't love the unfinished seams on the top but that is a minor quibble when you consider how gorgeous everything else here is. THAT NECKLACE.

Julianne Moore!
Grading on a curve, this is a great look for Julianne. I don't love all the darker details in the dress but she brought it.

Chiwetel Ejiofor!
Reliably gorgeous and always wearing a well-cut suit. Here is your pretty for the day!

Scarlett Johansson!
This was my favorite look of the night, hands-down. It's stunningly constructed, it fits like a dream, and the styling is most definitely bringing the drama. Yes, girl, yes.

1 comment:

  1. Did you notice that Reece is wearing your Jr. prom gown?

    ReplyDelete