Tuesday, June 11, 2019

2019 Tony Awards Red Carpet Rundown: The Good!

The Tony Awards are always a little bit difficult for me to cover here on WTS. The red carpet is a curious mix of Hollywood stars; fashion personalities; big time Broadway actors; not so big time Broadway actors; writers, directors, designers, and musicians who do not typically do the step-and-repeat; and sometimes even people I knew when they were children. In the case of that last one, I decided I won't be including him because it just feels weird to me and also because I think his tux looks like it was made from wallpaper and I'd rather process how that feels to me in private. 

THE GOOD

Regina King!
We'll start as we so often do with our queen, Regina King. She looks stunning. No notes.

Laurie Metcalf!
A dress with a built-in cape is my kryptonite. 

Ashley Park!
Beautiful gown in a surprising color and she is killing it. 

Darren Criss (with Mia Swier)!
This is in no way my favorite style of suit but he looks fantastic. 

Ali Stroker (with David Perlow)!
Great earrings, great neckline, great bra, great color on her, great length. 

Audra McDonald!
 Definition of the word FLAWLESS. 

Jordan Roth!
Jordan Roth is quickly becoming a red carpet favorite for me. This is exquisite. 

Judith Light!
The world does not deserve Judith Light.

Michael Benjamin Washington!
Everything seems to be in order here. 

Jesse Tyler Ferguson (with Justin Mikita)!
Not my favorite fabric but the fit is right and the color is lovely on him. For reasons that I assume are obvious this is my periodic reminder that WTS does not comment on the non-celeb plus ones unless they look outstanding. 

Leslie Kritzer!
There are rules to the Tony Awards. One of them is that SOMEONE has to come dressed as Grizabella But Make It Fashion. This year it was Leslie Kritzer and she knocked it out of the park. 

André De Shields!
Another rule to the Tonys is that if you are an elder statesman of the Great White Way then you get to wear an absolutely fabulous coat and gold lamé bow tie. I don't make the rules, I just enjoy them. 

Catherine O'Hara!
This is a mashup of Delia Deetz + Moira Rose and how could we not be into it? I don't think it's actually good but it's definitely great.

Dominique Morisseau (with Jimmy Keys)!
Is this purple gloves away from Jessica Rabbit cosplay? Yes. Do I give care? No. She looks fabulous. 

Cynthia Erivo!
When I was watching the show, hers was the only gown in the audience I liked but I was nervous because I could only see the top of it. Seeing the whole of it, I am not disappointed. Cynthia always brings the drama.

Caitlin Kinnunen!
This is very TLC - crazy, sexy, cool.

Camille A. Brown!
Everything about this massages the pleasure centers of my brain and makes me feel like I just ate really good pizza.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget Andre's winged sneakers. I mean, he's Hermes after all. He was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse Tyler Ferguson's color choice was phenomenal. I don't know who styles him but they WIN. Also, Mia Swier's dress is uglier than her wedding dress was, and I didn't think that was possible.

    ReplyDelete