Monday, November 5, 2012

Review of the movies I own on VHS

My roommate and I recently got a new DVD player that can also play VHS tapes. I am THRILLED because I have a ton of movies on tape and I haven't seen them in years. We've been making our way through the collection so I'd like to offer you these reviews of movies I loved in my early 20s from my now early 30s perspective.

As Good As It Gets- still excellent. I understand much more clearly now why Helen Hunt's character would ever go for Jack Nicholson's character. Greg Kinnear continues to be a vastly underrated actor.

Sex and the City, Season 3 - still frustrating to watch [SPOILER ALERT] Carrie screw up her relationship with Aidan. Team Aidan Forever. Many, many good one liners I had forgotten about. I was dismayed, however, to see just how homophobic a couple of the episodes were. I had to wonder, was the show always this gay-unfriendly?

Can't Hardly Wait - does not hold up well AT ALL. Really, just skip it.

10 Things I Hate About You - continues to be charming and addictive. Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon Levitt are both just so charming it's impossible not to fall in love with them. Also, I forgot this movie features the best goddamn dancer in the American Ballet Academy.

Now I wish I owned Center Stage.

Dazed and Confused - seems waaaaaaaaayyyyyy creepier than it used to, especially with the May-December romance of an incoming freshman and a rising senior. Ewwww. But it's still totally fun and the kid that plays Mitch Kramer still pinches his nose too much when he is acting. Good thing he went on to pitch for the San Francisco Giants.

Season 3 of Friends - Some of the best writing the show ever had. The One Where No One's Ready is the perfect episode of sitcom television.

1 comment: