Thursday, March 7, 2019

Oscars 2019 Appreciation: Billy Porter!

While we ended our general red carpet coverage last week, there was one red carpet look so stunning, so breathtaking, so exciting that special attention must be paid. Yes, I am talking about the Billy Porter of it all.



I have thrown the word flawless around here in the past but I think perhaps I didn't truly grasp the meaning of the word until this masterpiece of a look hit the red carpet at the Oscars this year. It's a look, a lewk, a looq... it's a moment. The second this image hit my retinas I knew I would remember it forever (but in the opposite way of, say, Demi Moore's bike shorts).

For starters, it is just so THRILLING to see a giant ballgown explode from the bottom of a tux. It's honestly like candy to my brain. Once your brain gets past the initial thrill, it's a feat of tailoring. Billy Porter is cinched to high heaven, truly perfecting the silhouette. Christian Siriano gives us ruffled sleeves that maybe are along the lines of what Adam Lambert was trying to do with those uncuffed disgraces? And let's talk bow tie. Obviously I've been the bow tie regulation bureau all awards season, so hear me out: this is perfect. Yes, it's large. If this was a traditional tux, especially the slim fit that we're used to seeing this year, it would look comically large. But with this design, the size of the tie perfectly balances the bottom. Proportionizing at its best. 

It has been documented that one of the inspirations for this look is Hector Xtravaganza's ballgown tux.



What actually is better than a showstopping fashion moment with purpose?! Hector Xtravaganza was an icon and legend and the world is colder without his beauty. What a lovely tribute. 

Billy Porter said in a Vogue interview about this moment, "I felt alive. I felt free. And open, and radiant. And beautiful!" All of that comes across in every photo. This was an all-time look. If I ever lose my memories, please universe let me keep this outfit burned in my brain. 

There isn't much more to say and what there is left to say Glenn Close communicated in one iconic reaction:



In short, we are not worthy.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this look/moment SO MUCH. It says and does so much - for men's fashion, for men, for women, for non-binary, for glamour... I could go on. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I want MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also this transformed into a SECOND stunner of a lewk?! Amazing. Serve us all day like a 24 hr diner of the Gods, Mr. Porter and Mr. Siriano!

    ReplyDelete