Friday, March 1, 2019

2019 Oscars Red Carpet Rundown: The WTF!

A brief announcement before we do our final rundown for the Oscars: there is more content yet to come! I am planning two spotlight posts next week highlighting a couple of looks that transcend our categories here and demand the attention and respect of separate discussions. Please stay tuned for the two biggest red carpet events from Sunday - Billy Porter and Selma Blair. 

But before we get there, let's wrap it up with some real WTF-ery, shall we? We shall.

THE WTF

Spike Lee!
Many people definitely beat me to this joke (including the inimitable R. Eric Thomas) but that is Stan Shunpike x Night of the Hunter cosplay. 

Adam Lambert!
A choice was made about these cuffs and it is neither good nor fashion-forward. 

Cicely Tyson! 
Wow, this Cicely Tyson chia pet is really working out great.

Terry Crews (seen here with Rebecca King-Crews)!
I guess someone had to wear a harness. Can we be done with this trend now? SO BORED.

Jason Momoa and Lisa Bonet!
THAT
IS
A
SCRUNCHIE.
This 90s renaissance is tough on my anxiety.

Jenifer Lewis!
The legend herself in an absolutely bonkers bedazzled bronze lamé ensemble. We are not worthy.

Chadwick Boseman!
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure a cravat is not intended to touch your knees.

Pharrell Williams (seen here with Helen Lasichanh)!
No one (other than Maya Rudolph) commits to a bit as firmly as Pharrell. But the socks are truly testing me. 

Diane Warren!
OH-KAY. This ... wow. Okay. The question I posed to my viewing companions was: is that a dicky under her necklace? It was decided that it is both dicky and necklace and has been dubbed a dicklace (pronounced "dick-liss"). 

Which reminds me: one time in college I auditioned for a role I really wanted in a play. The line I was supposed to say in my audition was "I want it to be zipless, Dick." I'll bet you can guess what I said instead. Obviously I did not get cast in that play. And now, almost 20 years later, I blame Diane Warren. 

3 comments:

  1. Ya'll can kick me off the island, but I lurrrrve Cecily's ensemble. Lurve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Diane Warren wearing a medic alert necklace as jewelry or is that dog tags? The whole ensemble is so strange/terrible I don’t know which part is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Diane Warren's necklace a medic alert tag or a dog tag?

    ReplyDelete