Wednesday, September 26, 2012

This is not my beautiful house...this is not my beautiful wife

As David Byrne once said (approximately): And you may find yourself ... going to your 10 year college reunion...And you may ask yourself... How did I get here!?

A bunch of my friends are going to our 10 year college reunion and I thought, well why not? I didn't really think too much about reunion until the other night. The other night I got a text message from someone with whom I've sort fallen out of touch. It wasn't anyone's fault, I don't think. We just stopped making the effort to see each other or talk. And then she texted me. And I texted her back. And that happened for about an hour and it was amazing. When I realized I was going to see her this weekend back on campus where we skipped many classes together, I suddenly felt nostalgic, guilty, and kind of old. Nostalgic, of course, for those sepia-colored days. Guilty because ten years ago I couldn't have imagined my life without my "fake sister." Kind of old because... holy crap! How have ten years gone by?

I've done a lot. I don't feel like I wasted my time. I'm definitely not where I thought I'd be at 32, but I think that's okay. And then I started thinking about all the people I'll get to see this weekend - many of whom I probably forgot existed in my little cocoon of small theatre in Philadelphia. A handful of them I'll have seen really not that long ago. A handful of them I used to make out with (again, TEN+ YEARS AGO). A handful of them I really will have no desire to chat up. I'm looking forward to seeing new jewelry on the ring fingers of old friends. I'm hoping there will be babies and children. Hilariously, one of the people I'm most excited to see didn't even go to school with us - she just happened to marry one of my oldest and dearest friends.

Maybe everything will be different. I hope things are not exactly the same. Most of all, though, I hope I'm able to process all of this and finally move on.

THIS HAS BEEN DEEP THOUGHTS WITH MEGHANN WILLIAMS.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I've been thinking so much about the necklace I'm going to wear, can't be caught out without one!

    ReplyDelete