Monday, January 13, 2020

Golden Globes 2020 Red Carpet Rundown: The Meh!

While we finally have a lot of necklaces on the red carpet, I wish some of them had been different.


THE MEH

Awkwafina!
Someone is going to have to explain to me what Awkwafina has against her own neck. Also the black tulle at her throat makes it look like she's using her own hair as a necklace. I'm not wholly against the idea, I'm just surprised by it. 

Amy Poehler!
This is the right dress with the wrong belt.

Rami Malek!
That tie is simply ridiculous. 

Saoirse Ronan!
This photograph is a poor representation of a really pretty dress, worn with YARDS of double stick tape. I don't love the color on her and I truly dislike the styling. She looks positively undead.

Margot Robbie!
The two halves of this dress have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Much like Salma Hayek's dress (which will be featured in the Bad pile), the white skirt pulls focus completely and overwhelms the look.

Ellen!
The question never really occurred to me but I guess why wouldn't you hand stone an entire suit? 


Natasha Lyonne!
Her hair looks incredible and that bag is everything. That does not make up for the fact that the dress being cut at the ankles stumpifies her and that bow situation is out of control.

Zoë Kravitz!
I like this okay but I think I would love this sleeveless. Dig the lip color.

Reese Witherspoon!
She looks like a very intricately folded washcloth. 

Rooney Mara!
Sure.

Ansel Elgort!
The fit is really good but I gotta tell you, folks, head to toe velvet is quite a swing. So is weirdly singing your presentation script... so I guess that's where Ansel Elgort is: big swing town. 

Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Nick Jonas!
Y'all tried but all of this is a skosh too tight. Loving that necklace, though!

Phoebe Waller-Bridge!
I love the fit on this suit but I very much hate the material and the bow. It looks like a giant bird is in the middle of taking a somewhat transparent crap on her.

Renée Zellweger!
Snoozefest.

Laura Dern!
This is a lot of look. None of it is bad but it's all a lot.

Scarlett Johansson!
Huge taffeta gown with long train doesn't quite work for me with such a slick do and understated makeup. Also some of the reason I am not a huge fan of taffeta is because it shows every half wrinkle and it just doesn't photograph as beautifully as other fabrics. I'd like seeing this dress with a giant blown out bob and some interesting eyeliner. 

Leslie Bibb and Sam Rockwell!
First of all LB is unrecognizable with dark hair. Secondly, this dress makes her look like she's standing on a step stool. Thirdly, what in the Sam hill is happening with the pants!?

Wesley Snipes!
There is a giant velvet bowtie on a pink ruffled shirt and it somehow almost works. 

Christina Applegate!
Another one for the almost works pile! I like this dress a lot but the V is too wide on her and it makes the fit look off. 

Cynthia Erivo!
Something about this gown just seems so heavy to me. I'm also not really feeling these shoes, that bag, nor that specific necklace. I know, I know... I'm so picky!

2 comments:

  1. Rooney Mara is a disaster. The weird little things in her hair, the tutu and the bizarre rest of the skirt is bananas. You are kind to put her in the "meh" pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot Robbie looks like she came in off the beach

    ReplyDelete