Wednesday, May 15, 2019

2019 Met Gala Red Carpet Rundown: The Meh! Part 2!

To quote Jimmy Gator, we're back and ready for round 2!

THE MEH (CONTINUED)

Serena Williams (with Alexis Ohanian)!
Sure it's over the top and playful and the colors are exquisite on her but the GOAT was a co-chair of this year's Met Gala. Why did no one help her hit more of a camp note? Once again, I want more. 

Lizzo!
Okay! This is MORE. This is very camp but I have two quibbles: 
1. The neck ruff ruins the flow of the coat and dress. 
2. The color of the wig is ever so slightly not the correct color. Because the dress and the coat and the shoes are all so perfectly matching, my eye goes to the wig and my brain says "close." SOOO so close.

Bella Hadid (with Jeremy Scott)!
Okay. Remember how I included Gwen Stefani in the Good pile and said we would get back to the other piece from this collection? Here we are. This just does not work as well for me. I think it might actually be the jeweled seams around the mermaid skirt. The jewels around the cutouts are cheeky and fun and I like the idea of tens of diamond and jewel bracelets lining her arms but the bottom feels underwhelming. Maybe I'd feel differently if the dress was fuscia? 

Danai Gurira!
Now staring in her one-woman mashup of Pippin and Chicago: Corner of the Sky Block Tango.

Kendall Jenner!
Lola, show girl, etc.

Kylie Jenner!
Dress cut down to there, merengue, cha cha, etc.

Laverne Cox!
Please wear this to my funeral but leave the abdominal growth off the gown. 

Dua Lipa!
I cannot believe I'm about to type this but it's a little basic? The pattern is doing all the work here. 

Gabrielle Union!
Ooh yes this sheer dress, this momentous coat, this face! Ooh no these gloves, those shoes, this Esther Williams headgear. 

Indya Moore!
My dear readers, I trust you recognize that belt by now. I don't really like the dress but I love everything else that is going on here-  truly loving how this was styled. I think maybe I'm just not loving this Vuitton line. (Also if you don't look closely in the background there your eye just skips right over Kate Moss, which should be an impossibility. Sigh.)

Emma Roberts!
You can get like 10 toilet paper rolls under there.

RuPaul!
Sure.

Jourdan Dunn!
I love the shape and construction of this plastic Zac Posen dress but I really hate the accessories she was styled with. Let's see a more delicate shoe and maybe a small but significant headpiece?

Nina Dobrev (with Zac Posen)!
This is the other ZP plastic dress, famously made with a 3D printer. Very sorry to see that they ran out of ink. 

Omari Hardwick!
The suit and the vest talk to each other but all of the other touches are trying to shout over them. The giant necklace is lost in the shirt, the pocket square is the wrong color and shape, the fit bit (I don't know) is distracting, and these shoes are the wrong shade of red for this color green. Credit where credit is due: that is a sweet beard.

Mindy Kaling!
I love Mindy in gold but... who did this to her? I demand to speak with the manager. 

Tessa Thompson!
I am extraordinarily into everything about this except the dress. I love the styling, I love the accessories, I love the PONYTAIL WHIP, but jeez I hate this dress for her. I don't think I like it for anyone but definitely not for Tessa.

Gigi Hadid!
Starring in the next Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them installment!

Deepika Padukone!
So pretty but definitely not the assignment. The hair alone does not make it camp. 

Janet Mock!
An incredible feat of double stick tape, part 2. 

Salma Hayek!
I don't know, it's fine? I guess? I'm a little bored.

Anna Wintour!
Sure it's a floral but this is almost even in the theme of the event! Anna! Theme-adjacent! But also in floral! Who knew it was possible!?

Yara Shahidi!
I feel like there is something missing. Right now I'm getting great hair, a catsuit, and a lot of feathers. Maybe what's off for me is the neckline on the top - it feels very prom 1998 but not in a referential way. What if this was strapless and then had a big, metallic necklace - omg what if it was a gold ostrich pendant around her neck and then this huge ostrich shawl? That would be so fun!

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen!
They didn't understand the question and they won't respond to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment