Tuesday, May 14, 2019

2019 Met Gala Red Carpet Rundown: The Meh! Part 1!

I'm here to tell you that I have 50 entries for The Meh so we are going to split this into two posts. How delicious. 

THE MEH

Zazie Beetz!
A thrilling interpretation of I Am My Own Wife for sure, but for me the headpiece comes out of nowhere and distracts from the garment. 

Michael Urie!
I suppose I expected this sort of a look to show up but I like that he played with the makeup and hair too. My main quibble is the shoe. It is just very wrong. 

Kacey Musgraves!
This is going to be a recurring theme with the Meh pile: this is fine and good but it does not take the extra step into great. Yes, dress like a Barbie, have Barbie accessories, show up in a Barbie convertible.... but where is the twist? Give me the next step, give me a joke, give me a comment.

Zendaya (with Law Roach)!
Again, this Cinderella fantasy is stunning and fun and it lit up and moved and everything and that was unbelievably cool but I wanted something a bit less literal. Let's see a Cinderella look that appears to be in motion - hair flowing behind her, makeup mussed, to look like she's running from the ball. I figure y'all are going to fight me on this but I just thought it could have gone further. YES further than a glowing dress that moves.

Madelaine Petsch!
Tinkerbell was also there.

Regina King!
I'm not in love with this makeup design for this dress but I am in love with WTS forever fave Regina King in this champagne color. Stunning. She is so beautiful and this is a bonkers shoulder piece but is it the right thing for this event? I think maybe not.

Dakota Johnson!
Religious imagery was last year, babe. Looking good, tho.

Demi Moore!
Two things: 
1. There are some pockets not meant for hands.
2. WHY THE EFF DID SHE NOT WEAR HER ICONIC BIKE SHORTS SITUATION FROM THE 1989 OSCARS!? That would have been perfect for this event.

21 Savage!
He looks fantastic and it's a great coat but it's a little boring for this event.

Ciera!
High-end Cher cosplay. Which is GREAT but (I hate to sound like a broken record) where is the comment? Where is the camp? Bob Mackie Cher is not as campy as Believe Cher is not as campy as Cher performing every role in West Side Story against herself. If you're doing Cher at this event, take it all the way.

Natasha Lyonne!
I think the idea of the outfit is pretty cool even though it's a very stumpifying jumpsuit. But the makeup is making me feel extremely uncomfortable.

Rita Ora!
Snoozefest.

Miley Cyrus (with Liam Hemsworth)!
Samantha Jones, age 26. 

Florence Welch!
She's like an evolved Pokemon version of exactly herself.

Liza Koshy!
Season 4, episode 6, Float Your Boat Challenge. Sashay away.

Emma Stone (with Nicolas Ghesquière)!
I think the impulse to go headlong into the 80s is a really good one and this jumpsuit is pretty fabulous. That said, I don't think the gold heels are working and the hair is a little too literal for me. 

Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas!
Again, I love the 80s tilt here (both Sophie and Emma are wearing Louis Vuitton - check the coordinating belts) and I am 100% on board for the matching turtleneck on le husb but the styling is ruining my melon. Everything other than the jumpsuit and the turtleneck is just boring. At the very least, I want a better shoe on both of them. More interesting hair of Sophie would be a plus too.

Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas!
I'm not sure what we were going for here but none of it makes sense. I really love Priyanka's head - it's an extraordinarily strange makeup direction for her (since she's usually such a glamour gal) and I love it. But what is the dress? And how does le husb factor in here? Their shoes match so I am thinking I'm supposed to be reading a storyline between the two looks but to quote the elusive chanteuse, I can't read suddenly, I don't know

Kate Moss!
I mean, it's great but hear me out:
Comparatively weaker, yes? A great look, a great cape, but unfortunately not the only one and not the best one.

Irina Shayk!
An incredible feat of double stick tape, part 1. 

Halsey!
The taffeta looks stiff and unforgiving. I like all the gold accessories but hooo buddy are those the wrong shoes. I blame Nina Garcia for putting this in my head many years ago but it just doesn't look expensive. I want a bigger moment for Halsey than this.

Mark Ronson!
Sooooooooooo close. One ruffled shirt away from glory.

Michael B. Jordan!
So beautiful. So boring.

Diane von Furstenberg!
Wearing one's own face on one's gown is very camp and the plastic torch is hilarious and I love it a lot. But DVF, surely you could have gone a little more high-end on the crown? With this kind of a thing you can have one element very low end but the rest has to be impeccable. It's close but it's not impeccable.

Nicki Minaj!
Tell me something I don't know, Nicki Minaj.

2 comments:

  1. I think Natasha Lyonne was intending a zombie Carol Burnett look

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen I think Miley legit went as Hannah Montana.

    ReplyDelete