Monday, May 13, 2019

2019 Met Gala Red Carpet Rundown: The Good!

It's the most wonderful time of the year: MET GALA TIME! I'll admit I was a little skeptical that this year's festivities would be good because I knew that Rihanna was skipping the event (as was Sarah Jessica Parker and Beyonce). I was also a bit wary because the theme has a high level of difficulty. This year's theme is Camp: Notes on Fashion and the exhibit itself was informed by "Notes on Camp" by Susan Sontag. Camp is fairly hard to define but fairly easy to screw up and this red carpet will show you just how many people misunderstood the assignment. Think of it this way - everything in air quotes, approaching a joke with utter seriousness, exaggeration is key. 



Once again we'll have a special Billy Porter post, this time combined with appreciation for Lady Gaga as well. So please do not dm me with "you forgot Billy." I assure you, I did not.

THE GOOD

Janelle Monae!
This is perfection. It's high fashion, it has humor, the eye blinks, she's wearing all those hats very literally, it's calling back to her black and white style origins and bringing in pink from her current music incarnations... this is just so perfect for this event. It's weird and funny and perfectly tailored. It's just exactly right. 

Benedict Cumberbatch (with Sophie Hunter)!
Yes this is costume-y but in a way that screams DECADES OF RESEARCH WENT INTO THIS COSTUME. Like it's very precise in a period piece way but worn with a large wink that I just love. 

Sarah Paulson!
I tend to give her a lot of grief but I am in love with this gown and bag for this black tie affair. It's fairly perfect.

Violet Chachki!
One of the favorite looks of the night! I like this idea of a pin-up style fashion queen dressed in one long black glove - AND THEN ALSO WEARING GLOVES. That is dumb and I love it.

Thalia!
If you are unsure if you're dressed appropriately for a camp event, just ask yourself, "Do I look like I could comfortably compete in Eurovision?" If the answer is yes, you're good to go.

Emily Blunt!
Of all the random holiday tinsel looks on the red carpet this was my favorite and the most FASHION of them. 

Tracee Ellis Ross!
You know why this is amazing? Because I know for a fact that TER has multiple large framed photos of herself in her house. She talked about them in her 73 Questions interview. This is beautiful and self-referential and I love it. Also, please note that Stella Maxwell appears in the back of many pics I have... we'll get to her MUCH LATER.

Saoirse Ronan!
Certainly not the assignment but I think this is the best she's looked on a red carpet in ages.

Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz!
Again, not quite the assignment but they both look stunning so I had to include them here.

Gemma Chan (with Tom Ford)!
Now here I think she thinks she's doing the assignment but I don't think that's true really? It doesn't matter though because this is just an absolutely jaw-dropping look. Weird not to see her knees but the Met Gala is unpredictable like that.

Julia Garner!
Listen, cosplaying as Helena Bonham Carter is a great way to approach "camp." 

Hailee Steinfeld!
It's definitely a little basic but she completed the assignment. I expected to see far more dresses from this Viktor & Rolf line on this carpet but looks like just Hailee. There isn't much you need to do when the dress does so much of the work but I like the youthful styling on her head and the cute little camera purse.

Kim Kardashian (with Kanye West)!
I love this. What an incredible work of art this dress is and the styling is absolutely impeccable - the dark eye, the damp-look hair, even the clear shoes. Call it a croissant all you want, this is a dress we will remember just as much as her head-to-toe-to-fingertip couch floral. It pains me to say this but well done, Kimberly. 

Hamish Bowles!
This is camp. 

Ezra Miller!
Oh my god! This is insanity and I cannot get enough of it! The tux is stunning, the corset cage is stunning, the mask is unsettling, and the eyes are gonna give me a migraine! MORE! MORE!

Katy Perry!
Let no one ever tell you that Katy Perry doesn't understand camp. The woman shot fireworks out of her tits. She gets it. This is fantastic, though I think I maybe would have tried it with a Sia wig for extra winks. 

Lupita Nyong'o!
This is one of those things where I know I love it but I don't know why and I'm not sure it's good but I know it's great. Camp, baby! Also can we take a second to acknowledges the LUPITA + JANELLE MOMENT!??! I literally screamed with happiness.

Joan Collins (with Adut Akech and Pierpaolo Piccolini)!
Joan Collins showing up like this is one of the highest camp expressions of the night. It's as if she looked through a collection of gowns and said, "Now which is these is The Most Joan Collins." And then she chose this one but paired it with a tiara and a giant necklace as if to declare herself the Queen of Winter this first Monday in May. I honestly hope half a dozen people just turned around and went home upon seeing this. 

Cardi B!
My god do I love a good ode to the vagina. This is vagina, vulva, and uterus all in one. Am I alone in thinking that train looks like a fabulously comfortable place for a nap?

Gwen Stefani (with Jeremy Scott)!
Jeremy Scott had two gals in his ode to the crown jewels but Gwen definitely got the better option. This is funny and excessive and vaguely reminiscent of Madonna circa Blond Ambition and it's truly working. When we get to Bella Hadid's JS crown jewels number we'll compare with this. 

Ryan Murphy!
For God so loved the world, God gave us Christian Siriano.

Celine Dion!
This is a Vegas showgirl outfit fully made out of veela hair. Celine is a treasure.

Lana Condor!
Oh this just makes me smile. I honestly hope someone had to tip champagne delicately into her mouth all evening. 

Lena Waithe and Kerby Jean-Raymond!
A lot of internet ink has been spilled on the messages on these suits and the lyrics on the pinstripes and I encourage you to read up on it in case you have not already. So I will just say this - these suits are stunning, the styling is fantastic, and we will not soon forget this red carpet moment. Put Lena Waithe in periwinkle every day for the rest of her life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment