Thursday, September 16, 2021

2021 Met Gala Red Carpet Rundown: The Good - Part One

My dear readers, it has been so long since we've seen each other. Welcome back to one woman's highly uninformed but extremely stubborn opinions about fashion, otherwise known as Way Too Shay. I believe in bright colors, I believe in appropriately hemmed pants, and I believe that with extremely few exceptions strapless dresses should be worn with necklaces. And holy shit, I do believe the Met Gala actually happened this year. You may remember that WTS celebrated our own Met Gala last year and, quite frankly, we were all wonderful. But it's time to turn it back over to the celebrities and see how they interpreted this year's theme In America: A Lexicon of Fashion. Because there are so many wonderful looks, I am going to split this into TWO PARTS! So let's begin Part One with one of the greatest looks of the night...

Lupita Nyong'o!

When I tell you my jaw hit the ground....I am enraptured by the construction on this denim dress and I cannot get over how beautifully sculpted her hair is. AND WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT NECKLACE ON A STRAPLESS GOWN!?!?! I am 100% anime heart eyes over here. 

Importantly, thus completes The Denim Trilogy:

The Good
 

The Bad













The Way Too Shay













Debbie Harry (seen here with Zac Posen)!
Sticking with the denim of it all, I truly love this. Zac Posen really put Debbie Harry in a deconstructed American flag hoop skirt and crop jacket and she looks radiant. Debbie kind of makes anything look cool but this truly is cool.

Michaela Coel!
Looking at this, I feel unfit to exist anymore. I also feel anxiety about MC needing to pee at any point in the evening.

Ciara!
(Fatman Scoop voice) CIARA'S IN THE HOUSE! 
This is exactly the thing to wear to the Met Gala when the theme is 'Merica! I love it and I love that she wore Russell's number and Super Bowl ring. So so so cute but still editorial and glamorous.

Megan Thee Stallion!
Hello 1950s Barbie! I love this - I debated with Reader Katya last night whether this Could Use A Necklace  - perfect hair placement makes it a judgment call - but I think that would be my only note. Megan looks absolutely amazing.

Timothee Chalamet!
My god I love this look. I don't know too many other celebs who could pull this off and honestly I don't need to imagine it on anyone else. Individually, these pieces don't really speak to me but together? Wow. Yes even the shoes. Especially the shoes, in fact.

Quannah Chasinghorse!
Absolutely stunning. No notes from me. 

Zoe Kravitz!
I do wish she had worn silver/diamond shoes instead of black, but otherwise this is an outstanding take on I'm Hot And I Want To Be Naked. Please take note of the matching diamond g-string. We will come back to this when discussing a few other looks of the night
*cough*Kendall*cough*.

Anok Yai!
TWO necklaces!? My new favorite model. I keep staring at the fit on the top of this dress, just so impressive. And a super fluffy boa? I love this whole look. 

Lil Baby!
I wish the shirt was more crisply tucked in, but I am super into this look. The pins and the necklace together are working for me and you better believe I would shout at anyone who scuffed those shoes that night.

Simu Liu!
This is such a cool tux and he is wearing the hell out of it.

Kerby Jean-Raymond!
I am obsessed with this. I am extremely surprised to find myself fully in favor of a dark red shoe with a bright red ensemble, but here we are. My eyes cannot get enough of this. 

Amanda Gorman!
The "reimagined Statue of Liberty" is quite the moment for a person having quite the series of moments this year!

Dan Levy!
This tribute to David Wojnarowicz is completely over the top and stunningly gorgeous. To be fair, I didn't know David Wojnarowicz until he was name checked in Le Tigre's Hot Topic, and you may not have heard the name before now so please do enjoy reading about the story behind this look. Maybe you think this should be in the WTF pile, but nah. I think it's swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment