Tuesday, February 26, 2019

2019 Oscars Red Carpet Rundown: The Good!

We did it! We made it to the Oscars! Here we are, my dear readers, at the end of another High Holy Season! You may think you've seen it all, but we have endless barbie pink fabric and miiiiiiiiles of pouf left to go! 

THE GOOD

Regina King!
Why not start with sheer Hollywood glamour?! Here we see the rare strapless gown that is fine without a necklace and the rare tasteful white pumps! Here at WTS there are very few stars I love more than Regina King so it is wonderful to see her look so perfect and to get that Oscar! Sure, the slit proved a bit challenging when getting up from her seat, but Cap was there to help immediately after the almost-flash and who remembers anything after Cap + Regina = Friends 4EVA?!

Chris Evans!
Speaking of Cap... I like this! The tie size is right and I don't know, I'm kind of feeling these velvet tuxes.

Tina Fey!
Someone fetch me a fainting couch, Tina Fey finally got it right! And would you look at that: another high-cut strapless that does not need a necklace. Miracles abound.

James McAvoy!
Great galloping Gritties, I heard that James McAvoy bought a house in Philly!!! Also this suit looks nice on him.

Octavia Spencer!
Stunning! I want this gown in every color.

Sam Elliott (seen here with Katharine Ross)!
I just love Sam Elliott and I think he looks great here. Also if there was ever an ill-advised American-cast version of Harry Potter, he's my pick for Aberforth. To be clear, this should never happen, but in case it does please let me cast it because reader Gigi and I have a spreadsheet ready.

Henry Golding!
Honestly, where else can you bust out the white tie attire?! He looks gorgeous.

David Oyelowo!
Okay now I am all in on velvet tuxes. I love this color on him and I think the little chain is a nice touch. And since tie size will be a recurring problem tomorrow I'll say this is a nice tie size!

Lady Gaga!
Now that is what I call a necklace! I love that Gaga plays with shape and silhouette when she does Hollywood glam (remember the 2016 Golden Globes velvet?) and I love it when she basically makes out with Bradley Cooper on stage in front of his tiny mother and the world. Gaga gives you the drama you've been craving!

Glenn Close!
Miss Glenn not only gave us the reaction face heard round the world (more on that in another post) but also showed up in this 40+ lb feat of beading! Is it my favorite look Miss Glenn turned this awards season? No. Is it a Moment? Yes.

Paul Rudd!
Everything seems to be in order here.

Rami Malek!
Everything seems to be in order here as well. Additionally, I appreciate that Rami Malek refers to his mother as "Lady" like I do.

Michael B. Jordan (seen here with his mom)!
Yowza.

Amy Adams!
I don't usually love her in white but this dress is exquisite.

Yalitza Aparicio!
I just think this is the sweetest and the prettiest dress. I love the polka dots and the styling is beautifully understated.

Keegan-Michael Key (seen here with Elisa Pugliese)!
He looks perfect. (And though I don't like to comment on the spouses, I adore this dress and I think her lip color is just right.)

Elsie Fisher!
As longtime readers know, I only include children in my rundowns if they are killing it. And Elsie Fisher didn't just kill it, she dismembered it and destroyed the remains. This is an outstanding look.

Diego Luna!
I'm having a hard time here, my dear readers. I think maybe something is off about this but I think maybe he just needs to hike up his pants a skosh? I don't know.  Anyway, I'll always love Diego Luna so I'm putting him in the Good pile even though it required a bit of thought.

Danai Gurira!
Listen, if you're going to wear a fabric that looks comforter-adjacent, you'd better look this excellent doing it!

Mahershala Ali (seen here with Amatus Sami-Karim)!
He is very clearly the coolest guy in the room. (And please sign up for my Patreon where I will say what I feel about this dress because, as aforementioned, I don't like to comment on spouses. Just kidding, I don't have a Patreon. 

Venmo me $2 and I'll whisper it in your ear.)

Michelle Yeoh!
She looks like a fairy tale! This is my favorite of her red carpet looks this season. 

Trevor Noah!
Flawless. 

Samuel L. Jackson!
Do you know how hard it is to match fabric hues like that? This is really well done and I like the velvet tie and lapels.

Helen Mirren!
Tequila sunrise: the dress. Margot Tenenbaum: the eyeliner.

JLo!
Showstopping! Breathtaking! Yes, yes, disco ball mosaic but look at the impeccable fit on this gown! Whoever worked on this deserves their own award. Remarkable.

Shangela!
As the children say, I am gagging on this eleganza. So glad we got that wig line sorted out this time around. But wait there's more! Let's zoom out....

Jenifer Lewis holding Shangie's gown is everything, gal. More on Jenifer in a later post. She is, of course, an event of her own. But now and forever, #shangelaforbestsupportingactress.

2 comments:

  1. Regina looked stunning, and I knew you'd agree. And Helen Mirren is my future goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coop and Gaga also had their extremely intimate moment in front of his baby mama and I remain convinced they actually hate each other.

    ReplyDelete